Sewanee Stadium was built in 1921 to replace old Bland Park which served the Virginia League for 2 seasons. The park was on Washington Street between Lincoln and Henry (thus the original name of this ballgrounds: "Washington Street Park") and initially held a seating capacity of 3500. By the time the park was taken out of commission before WWII, the capacity had risen to 5000 (* from Gord Brown SABR).  Sewanee Stadium was constructed completely from wood and while it wouldn't succumb to the usual fiery end... its lifespan would be less than 20 years.